header-photo

Hanmer Sweet Hanmer

E huri tō kanohi ki te rā ko te atarangi kei muri I a koe

(Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you)

~ Maori Proverb


It’s official – I have fallen in love. Or at least I think I have based on what everyone around me says love is. Not sure if anyone can ever been 100% confident that what they feel is love. Who knows. Regardless, the way I feel deep down inside is like a million sunny days complete with daises, butterflies and all things cheesy in the romantic manner. There is not just one thing that I can put my finger on that makes me feel this way. It’s the little things. Quite frankly, there is something very magical about Hanmer Springs that one cannot help but fall in love.


Hanmer Springs from above
 The other day we had our first snowfall – or at least the first one since I arrive barely two weeks ago. It’s been nearly two years since the last time I got to step in the snow and I didn’t even care that the cold ate away at my fingertips.


APRIL 18, 2011

For the first time since July 2009, I have found snow. Sure, I have seen glimpses of it in the last couple of months here, but never have I been so close to it. This morning I got all ready to do some gardening and I opened up my door to find everything completely covered with snow. I’d forgotten how beautiful and magical snow can make everything. I was left in awe.

Guaranteed – the snow won’t stick around. What little is on the ground will melt away quick enough –it’s just not cold enough right now. Even still, this morning left me unable to do any gardening and instead I bundled up so I could come inside the lounge area for a cup of tea. All I wish for now is a good pair of winter boots and a nice thick winter coat.


It’s so incredibly magical here with the snow. A white blanket covers everything, from the fallen leaves on the ground to the mountain tops that backdrop Hanmer Springs. I love it. I had forgotten what it is like to have snow around – the quiet calm that follows such a snowfall is incredible. Everything is still in its sparkling white beauty. Granted, the snow has since melted from the streets and is only left high up on the mountain tops, but it doesn’t matter. Winter is coming and for the first time in a long time I am excited.


APRIL 21, 2011

Today I was just reminded of what I am aiming to do with my life. For the past few days I have felt as though everything has been a massive blur of going-ons, most of which has just taken me for a ride so fast I have just now started to catch my breath. And so here I am.



Hanmer Springs
 “Here I am” is right. Since arriving here in Hanmer Springs, this little town sure knows how to move things are warped speed. Alex and I got here on the night of April 7, completely exhausted from our marathon driving schedule of coming to Hanmer to drop off our things, then back to Christchurch to drop off the car, meet Richard and Co. then come all the way back to Hanmer Springs. By the time I settled into my own cabin at the Hanmer Springs Family Camp that night I felt as I had been hit by a truck – but in a good way. I could feel that I was on the edge of something good – the brink of a new life so full of good things that my only worry was how I would feel when the time came for me to say goodbye to my new home.

The next day I woke up set and determined to find a job. Steve from the family camp had given me the day off from working for accommodation so that I could get “settled in” and so I headed off to town early in the morning to do just that. Groceries were bought. Resumes printed. Jobs applied for. By the end of the day I had two jobs – one as a waitress/barista/bartender at the local pub and another as a housekeeper at a 5-star accommodation in town. I was set.


APRIL 11, 2011

I’ve got so much to say and so little time. My brain is exhausted with the multitude of thoughts crammed in there trying to be processed. Not good. Not good at all.

I just need a bit of breathing room to sort myself out, but I haven’t quite gotten it yet. This is only now my fourth day in Hanmer Springs and already I feel behind. I’ve quit my one job before it even started, made some new friends, worked two shifts housekeeping at St. James, found out Hanmer Springs has a lot more to it than just hot pools, explored some of the forest tracks, walked the 2.5km to/from town numerous times and, as of last night, I’ve auditioned for the local production of Robin Hood. Not to mention, I still have to write an article for New Zealand Fitness magazine (due tomorrow for their August/September issue), catch up on my blog and photos, research for an article for an online eco magazine and apply for my IRD number so I can get paid. Oh yeah, and I need groceries as well as some warmer clothes. The list of things to do seems to be growing by the minute and though I’m completely excited about it all, I have the feeling right now as though I am simply holding my breath in hopes to make it through another day.

It is tough as there is only so much I can do at such a pace. I realize things will slow down (and I got plenty to keep me busy when that does happen), but until then I never really figured life could go at such a warped speed in such a small town . At least I’m not bored!


And so, life has gone on – whipping by me as I try to hang on with a tight grip. At the Hanmer Springs Family Camp I work for accommodation, putting in 2hrs/day of gardening and other odd jobs that need doing. Weeding, raking leaves and piling wood have become a thing of daily occurrence in my life. Each day I pull on my working gloves and grab the wheelbarrow as I head off to do what needs doing. It’s simple enough and a whole lot more satisfying to know that I am doing something to pitch in rather than paying for accommodation elsewhere.


Love it
 At work, the standards are high as I work hard to clean whatever needs clean so that St. James will continue to be a high standard of 5-star accommodation. It’s incredibly refreshing to be working somewhere that actually ensures that everything is cleaned up. Any mark, any scuff, any bit of dirt or lint is removed from the rooms so that they are sparkling new by the time we’ve finished with them. True bliss comes into play with the fact that we also make sure we stop for tea every shift and all sit down together to have a cup of tea and biscuit (I commented that this was “very English,” at one point and was corrected as apparently this is also “very Kiwi”).

And that’s the basis of my life. Walking 2.5km to town every day to work housekeeping and then when I’m done I walk back to the family camp to do gardening before it gets dark. No wondering where fresh water is or where the flattest piece of land is to pitch a tent. I don’t have to worry about how much loo roll is left in my pack or how much food I have left to stretch the days. I have finally succeeded in getting back to “normal life” where I can wear jeans if I want and wash my hair every day. It feels good.

And more than that – it feels good to be in a place I can call “home” for the next few months. It feels awesome to be building on relationships with people and making new friends – all the while knowing that I won’t be walking away from it all in another day or two. Even better than that, with Hanmer Springs being so close to Christchurch, the friends Alex and I did make when we were there for the Student Army are people we will get to see more regularly the coming months. But even above and beyond that, I’m stoked to be here for the winter season. With a ski hill around the corner, hot pools in town and so much to do in my spare time – I don’t know if I will ever be ready to leave.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...