header-photo

"ah, summer, what power you have to make us suffer and like it."

** title quote by: russell baker **




so it has begun. today is officially the first day of summer and i find it hard to believe. it seems like such a controversy in my mind to state that, yes, it is december 1 and, yes, summer has begun. today. officially. and it just happens to be bloody cold outside. well - by cold i mean windy, cloudy and a high of 18 degrees. and, no, i shouldnt complain about it, but when used to being in 30 degree (and much higher) weather - 18 feels shockingly cool.

and i made the mistake of wearing shorts today. it was all good in the sun untill the windy started blowing around me to the point where i contemplated the thought that i might become a real-life example of dorothy in the wizard of oz. only - if that was the case, i envisioned myself with a bigger dog than "toto." as it were - i didn't go sailing off into some unforeseen tornado, but today i marched my way off to the art store. not as though i actually intended to go in there, i was actually on my way to the bus stop and it happened that the art store was right beside it. i couldn't resist.

for the longest time i have been without my art supplies within reach. granted, i have my camera - actually, BOTH cameras - but sometimes photography just doesn't cut it when i am wanting to be creative. to make something with my hands. pictures are easy - you just click the camera at that of which one finds interesting. the creative moment only lasts so long. i have been in need of a bigger fix. of something that will keep me going - energize me - encapture me - enthral me. the art store called my name and i heard it loud and clear.

when i left the store i can proudly say i had made a purchase. my bag of pastel supplies in hand i walked the short distance to the bus stop envisioning what my first piece will look like. i haven't worked with pastels in such a long time, but they seemed like the appropriate choice for someone with limited finances who is constantly on the move. small, transportable and with minimal mess - i was set to create. and create i will. in fact, after i am done this blog i intend to start the creative process on this rainy day (for those who haven't, feel free to check out my previous works of art at: http://artundefined.blogspot.com/).

and rain it has. after the art store i went off the library to stock up on more books (yes, i happened to read through my stack of 5 in a week. yes - a week). my reusable grocery bag weighed down with a new, larger stack of novels, i made my way out of the library to catch my bus. only it was pouring rain. it was then that i wished i was wearing anything but shorts and i contemplated why it was that anytime the rain came down my umbrella happened to be safe and dry back at my flat? who knows...

as it is - in other realms of my life it has been decided that this month of december will be the month of change and new conquests for me. tomorrow i will sign up for my first official surf lesson. from there i hope to invest in my own board in order to start catching waves in the early morning light. me and a few friends plan on making a trip to the blue mountains and eventually, i will figure out what life is like on a beach during christmas. all the while i continue to work, work and work in order that i might save for the next process of my journey. i have an idea in mind of what adventure i hope to embark on, but i'll leave that for another day as i haven't yet figured out all the details....

so - as the locals say - ta!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...