header-photo

We Are Family

Okay. So life has settled into its pace of ups and downs and such. Each day has come to blend into the next one to the point that I can hardly believe that I have been in Broome for a month already. It’s hard to even say what has happened in that time as life is all but a constant lull of going-ons. Nothing really happening, yet nothing really NOT happening either.
I have managed to get a hold of a cheap laptop with my last pay so that I can not only keep in contact with the non-Broome world, but that I can also begin to prepare for my next adventure. New Zealand. Yes, that’s right. The journey does not stop here in the far north-westernly point of Australia. I plan on continuing on to the beautiful country of New Zealand. But before I do that, I must take the time to prepare for it. I guess what I am trying to say is that you should read on as the adventure is far from over.

Back to Broome, everyday is almost exactly like the one before. The only markings of difference is what we might happen to bring back from our jobs, whether we went into town for the afternoon or if someone new has pitched a tent next to ours. What started out as just Hannah (Australia), myself and Gerwin (Belgium) has now grown into a “family” of tents that have overtaken the sites like a garden of weeds. We are almost full to capacity and I can only wonder how it is that we are all so fortunate enough to all get along. Though nearly all of us are working fulltime and staying in Broome for the season, there are still the odd "goodbye" we have to say to each other - even if it is just so someone can switch tent sites.

Since the beginning Gerwin has moved to the back corner of the caravan park to enjoy some shaded grass, peace and quiet. Kirsten (England) has eagerly set up her tent in his spot and we have traded Gerwin's "love rug" (a $10 picnic rug he bought and we all sat on frequently) for Kirsten's "zen mat" (her's is made of bamboo) to continue our daily pow-wow get togethers of making jewellery, star-gazing and practicing poi in the dark. Okay - so it's more or less just Kirsten and Yuri (Japan) that are doing the poi, but it sure is fun to watch! We have also had to say "goodbye" to Dalphine (France) and Andrew (New Zealand) who have upgraded to rent out a caravan and now the rest of us have to gaze with envy at their upperclass housing as they have a real stove to cook with and no longer have to wait endlessly for a free burner in the backpackers kitchen. Fortunately Dalphine says they'll visit.

Back in the "real world" life's problems consist of when they'll finally fix the hot water heater and toaster in the kitchen, whether the ants have found a new way into my tent and if I can make it another day in my uniform without my boss noticing that I haven't washed it. Work is much of the same as the biggest issue I have to deal with is whether we can flip the doona (that's a duvet for all you North Americans) over to hide the stain that the laundrymat failed to get out during the last washing. We'll spend endless amounts of time inspecting how dirty things are and discussing the best methods on how to make it clean again - but not before we jump at the chance to see if anyone had left us some food in the fridge upon their departure. At this I must note - should anyone reading this stay at a hotel, motel, resort or anything of the kind and have extra food left over upon check-out time - DO NOT THROW THE FOOD OUT. Us housekeeping staff deeply appreciate anything left behind. Even if it is chili pickled onions.

That being said, I suppose one of the more recent changes in my life is that I have gotten a second job at Zanders as a waitress. Housekeeper by day, waitress by night - I only wonder when I will find time to be a ninja. It works though - and because I got this second job I have been able to purchase a laptop. Yes, yes - I know - the last blog said I was so broke I couldn't even buy milk (I still don't have real milk - I use the powdered kind)... and here I am up and buying a laptop. Don't worry. I'm still broke. And I still need the money. This was more of an investment so that I can start preparing for New Zealand.

As such, as I start preparing for New Zealand, there will be some changes being made to things such as my blogs and such. I have already updated my photo album list so that it is more condensed and organized according to dates. Each dated section you click on will open up to a blog entry of which the photo album links are listed. This is only with regards to the older photo albums as the newer ones (such as "Just Broome") will be listed by title untill I create enough to categorize by date. Feel free to comment on this change with regards to its ease of use.

I have also begun to create an official website to which this blog will be attached to. Again, this is not currently in place and I will update my blog as I go on its progress. Other than that I apologize that there is not something fabulous to write about here. Nothing has really happened. Just life.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...