header-photo

TGIF - Thank God it's Fedex

Okay. So as a traveller, one generally prepares oneself with the prospect of hopping on a plane and jetting off to some destination labelled on their ticket. One considers the stress involved with security clearance, baggage checks and customs. One studies up on the cultural differences (if any) that may be involved once departing from their homebase. Travel books may be bought. People may be drilled for information. Bags are packed and one is off to the intended destination with the blur of the Roadrunner. But there is and always will be a few surprises along the way.

My most recent endeavor (other than attempting to work 50-60hrs/wk at two jobs, trying to maintain some sort of brownish color to my skin, email companies for support on the trek in New Zealand and sleep at some point inbetween) has been trying to cordinate my receival of the backpacking gear and handmade jewellery my dad has sent me from Canada. What began as a simple solution to an issue of not wanting to buy new trekking gear has turned into an all-consuming problem as to why I do not yet have my things in my possession. I never thought shipping packages could be so complicated.

After some research on Australia's tight rules on what they deem acceptable to enter into the country, my dad wrapped up my things and sent them on their way. June 1. I told him I didn't need anything until the end of June, but apparently Fedex doesn't pride itself on slow service. So they charged $500 CAD for my things to be sent to Australia in the course of 4 buisness days. Big chunk of money - but hey, I figured it was still cheaper than having to by all that stuff here in Australia.

By the following week (June 9) I received a phone call from a representative of Fedex informing me that my package has reached customs in Australia and that I was required to fill out some paperwork to declare the package was mine. Then she offered me two choices. Either a) I come to claim the package myself or b) I pay a $100 AUD fee for Fedex to deliever the pacakge to me. Given that the nearest customs office to me is in Perth and a flight to there would cost the same as having Fedex deliever, I opted for option "B."

I then went online to check the tracking status of my package. It had arrived in Sydney on June 5 - exactly 4 buisness days from when it was sent from Calgary. Only it took them untill June 9 to contact me about these forms that had to be filled out. And I was yet again told to wait. It wasn't until June 16 that I was again contacted by the same representative to be informed that the customs office has declared one of my handmade necklaces unsuitable to cross into Australia. It had been created with some seeds. The representative then informed me that I, again, had 2 choices. Either a) I could pay for Fedex to send the item back to Canada or b) have it destroyed. Right. Like being between a rock and a hard place when it's a one-of-a-kind handmade necklace that I would be selling for about $30 CAD.

So, naturally, I asked to have her send it back to Canada. I was then informed that the charges to have it sent back would be over $100 AUD. For a necklace. A necklace that's current worth will be greatly increased should I pay that charge. A necklace that I haven't seen in over a year and, therefore, am only guessing at which one they are disallowing into Australia. A necklace that took them from June 5 untill June 16 to declare unsafe to be within Australia's boundaries.

And now, two days later, I still do not have my things. Fedex's version of a 4-day service is a lot different than what I could have ever imagined. Ironically enough, it will still all be cheaper than buying all that stuff here in Australia. So - all I can say is: TGIF.

And next time, maybe I will just fly back to Canada and pick up the package myself.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...