header-photo

A New Chapter

Alex enjoying the view north of Wellington
Today is the day Alex and I head off to New Zealand's south island. Today is the day we begin our new adventure. It feels so surreal to think of how far we've come on our own two feet and I can't wait to see what adentures await us once we set foot in Picton.

Injuries, illness and mental struggles behind us, I feel as though I have personally grown over the course of the past 3 months. Not only do I know more about what gear is necessary and what isn't, I feel as though my mental strength and confidence in who I am, what I want and what I am capable of has grown in leaps and bounds. And the best part is - it isn't over yet.

Alex and I plan to continue picking up one piece of rubbish per person per day as we try to make an impact on promoting environmental sustainability. This small action everyday has become such a habit I hardly even notice I am doing it and it continues to inspire me with thoughts on what the world would be like should something like this really catch on. What if even just every person trekking Te Araroa Trail picked up one piece of rubbish a day? What if more people did it? It's amazing to think of the impact that something like that could have on a person, community, forest, country - even the world. One piece at a time and who knows what would happen!


Near Plimmerton (north of Wellington)
 Over and above doing our one-a-day project, Alex and I continue to raise money for the Solomon Islands through Indigo Foundation. Now I suppose I should say it's not so much about us raising money by asking people for it - it's more about me and Alex inspiring people to give. Too many charities and organizations out there have payment plans and expectations of what everything "should" give to a cause. Too many groups making projects out to be more about the money than about the action of helping one another out. A famous African proverb states that "it takes a village to raise a child," but my question is what does it take to raise a village?

It takes everyone. It takes people WANTING to be part of the change. It takes people being inspired to make a difference. What good does it do if all the support for something comes from people that feel obliged to open their checkbooks?

And so, with that - Alex and I continue to trek in order that we may inspire another person to join us in supporting the Turusuala community in the Solomon Islands that dreams of building up its education system. Of building up its economy. Of building up hope and strength in fulfilling the dreams of its people. Of bettering the quality of life for its people and its future. It can be done. Anything's possible. We all just need to come together. To be part of something greater than ourselves. To create change that lasts forever. We only have one life to live and this Solomon Islands community is living with intention. It's living as though this is all there is. Can the rest of us say the same?


Last night in a tent on the north island
 With that all in mind, Alex and I make way to the south island. To continue what we started. To finish what we began. It's not nearly over and yet I feel as though the finish line is so much nearer.

For those who may not have an idea of what New Zealand's south island is like, I will forewarn you in saying that the route we will be following is more remote than the north island. There aren't as many towns that we pass through and those that we do will have limited internet access to update our progress. During this next portion of our journey don't expect to see many new photos, blogs or videos. We'll do our best, but we're already preparing for the possibility of having to update a majority of our going-ons after we reach Bluff. But hey - it's all part of the adventure right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...