header-photo

Interislander Adventure

January 22/11 . DAY #100 . 10 KM .

Today is DAY #100 and it feels surreal to think that it's been that long since we started out. It only seemed fitting that today would also be the day we set off to the South Island. 

David (a fellow Te Araroa Trail trekker) was able to join us on the ferry ride over and so we said goodbye to Wellington and boarded the Interislander Ferry in order to cross the Cook Strait to the other side. It felt as though I was saying goodbye to more than a city that had been my home for the past 3 days. It felt as though I was saying goodbye to one adventure. It felt as though all the hardships and challenges we faced in the North Island we would be able to put behind us. It felt as though we would be able to start fresh. Start new. This would be the "real" thing. The final chapter - as lengthy as it is - of our journey along New Zealand. Along Te Araroa.  


View from the Interislander Ferry
And so it began. The North Island was complete. Alex and I went aboard the Interislander Ferry unknowning to what we would come across in the months ahead in our journey to reach the southern part of New Zealand. We were fortunate enough to have the Interislander aboard as one of our sponsors and, as such, they treated us with a mini-tour of the control center where the captain and his staff guided the ferry in amongst the Cook Strait for us to safetly journey into Picton's harbor. It was such a treat and completely fascinating to actually get to see the equipment they used in order to ensure that such a large ferry would be able to accurately direct itself along the invisible path in the deep waters. Alex and I "ooed" and "ahhed" at a group of dolphins that came alongside the front of the ferry to swim in the current that we were creating just by simply moving forward. We gave the binoculars a try and spied out at all the summer homes tucked in amongst the remote bays along the waters. I even got to try out the captain's chair and we eventually said goodbye to the crew as we mosied our way back to our reclining plush seats to await the announcement noting our arrival to Picton.

Picton proved to be larger and more lively than what I had pictured in my head and I found it hard to even want to be heading onwards after just arriving so shortly before. All the little shops beckoned my name - displaying all sorts of nick nacs that I neither needed nor wanted to be carrying onwards in my pack and yet I lingered among all the items just the same. Fortunately hunger for food won out and Alex, David and I opted to settling down for lunch at a local Indian restaurant for some curry before we hefted on our packs to start making our first steps forward in the South Island.

Govenor's Bay
Stomachs full, we headed out - onroute to Havelock. I should take a minute to note that the official trail of Te Araroa guides trampers to take another ferry from Picton to go further north in order to start trekking with the Queen Charlotte Track. While in Wellington David, Alex and I deliberated on whether or not we should do this as the second ferry costs quite a bit of money and as the Queen Charlotte track is a well-devloped track, there is a fee in order to do this track as well. All together we would be looking at close to $100 to just do this portion of the Te Araroa Trail. And so we decided to be rebels and just start from Picton and road walk our way to Havelock where we'd reconnect with the official trail again. And so we walked. We walked our way to Goveneor's Bay where we set up camp for the night - overlooking the ocean waters as massive tree-covered hills and mountains surrounded us. It was bliss. It was perfect. Our first day on the South Island and 100th day of mine and Alex's journey was complete.


January 23/11 . DAY #101 . 25 KM . 

And so began our second day on the South Island - with an earthquake. In the very early hours of the morning I awoke to the ground moving underneath me. As I was not fully working on all cylinders, I registered that the entire ground underneath my sleeping mat was moving around as though it was attempting to shake me free from its surface, but figured my sleep was too important to panic over the idea that the earth may just break open to swallow me whole. It's not like there are many options of where to go during an earthquake when in a tent. I've heard one is to position oneself under a doorframe - I wonder if a tent pole counts.... 

As it were - nothing major happened and I was able to fall back asleep only to wake a few hours later by the alarm beeping - abruptly stopping whatever dream it was I was enjoying.

Today wasn't terrible exciting as the 3 of us walked our way to Havelock. The skies hung low and dumped rain on us as we faught gusts of wind tearing through the valley. Eventually we made it to the town of Havelock and opted to pitch our tents at the local campground. Needless to say, I still haven't quite warmed up or dried off. They say tomorrow will be nice, but with no blue sky in sight - I have my doubts. 

Endless stretch of road - SH 6
We have since made our way to Pelorus Bridge where the three of us are enjoying the last signs of civilization before we make our way into what will be expected to be about a 10-day journey through the bush. As happy as I am to be here (enjoying the sun that DID decide to come out today) eating big scoops of ice cream, taking pictures of the nature and otherwise just lazing around in the remaing hours of the afternoon - I am incredibly thrilled to be looking ahead at what is yet to come. This is what I have been waiting for. This is what I have been looking forward to seeing. The majestic mountain peaks. The rugid and wild wilderness. The cold mountain waters that take your breath away. The vivid colors that no camera ever seems to capture. The incredible places that only our feet can take us and few people have ever gone. This is it. Tomorrow the raw beauty of New Zealand's bush will encompass us and I can't wait. This is what the adventure is about.  


** NOTE: Though this blog was posted at a later date/time, it was originally written for posting on January 24/11 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...