header-photo

Christmas in June

It came. The day has finally arrived. It came at the last final possible moment and I feel as though I had been waiting forever. The package has arrived. Nearly a month after departing Canada, Fedex has offiically delivered my possessions via their 4-buisness-day service. And now I had it.

It has been a frustrating experience to sit and wait for this box of goods to arrive. This Sunday has been a big question mark on my calendar for the longest time as me and my friend, Claire, had hoped to head to the markets here in Broome to sell jewellery. Only I wouldn't be able to go if the package didn't arrive. All my jewellery was in it. And if I didn't have the package, then there was no sense in attempting to get Sunday off from work. It all was hinged on getting this box.

But I got it. I left my housekeeping job today with my boss telling me to come to work tomorrow if the package is in (and therefore have Sunday off) or take tomorrow off if the package doesn't arrive. I immediately went to the reception desk at the caravan park to see if any notice from Fedex had arrived and ended up leaving quite shortly after rather disappointed that nothing had my name on it. As I walked down the road towards my tent, Lyn from reception came running after me calling my name. In her hand was a bright read Australian Post notice stating that I had a package waiting for me at the Post Office. It was here.

As I had to work at Zanders by 4pm (and it was already 2pm) - I had to get a move on. I quickly hopped through the shower and ran off to the bus stop which took me into town. I then stood as patiently as possible in line untill I could get to the front counter of the Post Office. I had made it. Giddy with joy, I handed over the notice and told the lady I wanted to pick that item up. I didn't even care too much that they had spelt my name wrong - apparently "Shalane Hopkins" somehow got translated into "Shalang Hopking." I only hoped they wouldn't ask to verify my ID. Fortunately they didn't. Just asked me to sign for "Shalang Hopking" and then passed me a rather large box over the counter. I was off and running. Or at least walking rather quickly and awkwardly towards the bus I had to catch back to the caravan park. It was already 3pm.

By the time I got back to the caravan park, I had 10 minutes to spare before I had to leave for work again. The excitement was too much. Alex and Hannah watched on as I took my scissors to the well-taped box (thanks Australia Quarantine) and started hastily pulling out stuff. I just HAD to set up my tent. Alex and I had been trying to imagine what it would be like sleeping in a 2-man tent together and it was difficult to know whether we would both fit. Her being 6ft tall and my tent being made for only 2 people - well - serious discussions have been had to determine if we should cut foot holes in one end of the tent for Alex to stick her feet through. We really didn't know.

So I set up the tent in record time - hard to believe that after almost a year since I last used it, I was able to do it so quickly - but, well, when it's Christmas in June things do get a little crazy. Alex and I quickly plopped inside of it and scoped out our soon-to-be new home for size and feel. We gave it a big thumbs up. We fit. Our gear will fit. Life is good. So we invited Hannah and Yuri to join us in the tent and the 4 of us sat inside of it for all of 2 minutes before piling out so I could run off to work.

Work was a blur as all I can now think about is this tent. And the jewellery. And the fact that as everything arrived on June 25, it really is Christmas in June. Now Alex and I can "test" out our new home with a one (or more) slumber parties. I can put my jewellery to good use to sell at the markets in order to raise more money for Indigo Foundation. And, well, I can stop worrying about whether or not everything will get here. Because it's here.

And it's a good thing it did all come today as while I was working at Zanders the sprinkers behind our tents started leaking water - enough that it flooded both Alex's and Hannah's tents. I got home to find Alex had moved her tent beside the toilets and, as such, was unable to get to sleep because she kept hearing everyone doing their buisness in the washrooms. So I lent her my newly arrived tent so she could move back to her normal sleeping area and not worry about more flooding happening. When Hannah came home and started chucking things across the campsite out of anger because everything was wet - I lent her my mummy sleeping bag from Canada to keep her warm for the night. Now we all just need to get to sleep. Tomorrow will be a big day of sorting jewellery, trying to sell my Aussie tent and downsizing my home to my well-loved Canadian tent.

I only wish Christmas in June came more often.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...