header-photo

525 600 Minutes

Claire and I went to the Sunday markets in Broome with relative success. I say this because we were told to show up super early (by 6:30am) in order to secure a spot for a table as it was first-come, first-serve for all the casual sellers. We arrived by 6:10am and spoke with a permanent market seller who blatently stated that we had no need to be there until almost 8am as that is when all the casuals are given spaces. I spose we should have been happy that we were not late. However, we were too tired to make note of the positive side and instead walked our way to McDonald's in hopes that their chemically-induced non-food would cheer us up.

By 7:30am we were able to "register" and as we were so early, we signed up to be first on the list. Claire and I figured this to be a good thing as we were told things ran on a first-come, first-serve basis. People forgot to inform us that there was also the "keep it in the family" rule as well. So, as it turned out, as we were not part of the "market familiy" our names on the list got overlooked untill we elbowed our way to the front of the group of casuals and demanded to be given the spot that the organizer deemed too hot in the sun. We didn't care about the sun. We just wanted to sell our things.

And sell our things we did. Eventually. The markets were rather quiet this particular Sunday and so the first couple hours consisted of us sitting there trying to keep our eyes open as the few passerbys would merely glance at our things and then proceed to walk off at the first signs of us attempting conversation with them. Sometimes we didn't even get out the word "Hello" before they were gone.

But then we had success. In a blur, people started to come and actually buy things. The struggle to wake up at 5:15 that morning was worth it. So Claire and I promptly decided to go and sell things at the Monday night markets that occur with the Staircase to the Moon.

And we went. Only this time we didn't show up 2 hours before we had to. But the rest was about the same. We sold absolutely nothing until the last half hour. Scratch that. We bought food until the last half hour and then people decided to buy our things.

It was tough. It was a learning experience. It was definitely something I want to try again. Afterall, half of all my sales went to the Indigo Foundation and given I sold anything at all - I figure the markets were a success.

More than the markets - today marks my one year anniversary. One year ago I left Calgary. 12 months to this day I adjusted my backpack straps and took my first steps onto a trail that would lead across British Columbia. 52 weeks I have been travelling. 365 days of adventure I never will forget. 8760 hours of a journey I never thought would be possible. 525 600 minutes of everything I ever dreamed of. And then some.

To look back on where I started at - I still remember the butterflies in my stomach as I took my first steps up the 5km hill from Sunshine Village parking lot into the wild wilderness of British Columbia. I remember wondering what I had gotten myself into. No one was making me do what I was doing and yet I was doing it. I remember the weight of the pack. The smell of the trees mixed with the dust on the road. I remember wondering what was to come next. Where the journey would take me. Whether I would come out the other side.

But I did it. I made it to Vancouver, BC. Walking. I made it over Jumbo Pass. Across rivers. I climbed over fallen trees, up steep mountain trails and boulders. I walked until my feet aches and screamed in pain, and then I walked more. I walked through snow, in rain and under the heat of the day. I did it all and made it to the other side. And then I kept on going. I explored all Vancouver had to offer and then some. I did Vancouver Island and then took the train down to L.A. I stopped off for some hiking and mountain bike riding in Bend, OR. I helped my cousin move into her dorm room for her first year at Uni. I travellled overnight by train and ended up in L.A. early enough to FINALLY figure out how their insane airport works. And then I flew to Sydney - all the while wondering where my journey would take me.

In Sydney, I fell in love with the massive city. I made friends with people who became my family. I lived at a hostel for an entire month. I lived in Bondi, one of the most famous beach of the world. I went to movies under the stars, played tennis in December and learned to surf. And five months after that my journey continued up the East coast of Australia.

Australia has been everything I thought it would be and it has been more. Every step of the way I have discoverd something new and absolutely fascinating. I have come face-to-face with animals and creatures I have only ever read about. I have experience a ridiculous amount of climate change and survived the outback. And I did it all on the left side of the road.

And now here I am in Broome, where camels have their own crossing signs and people make nights out of watching the moon. Here to celebrate my one year anniversary. One year gone. One year past. It's not exactly a champagne and strawberries moment, but it is here just the same. And it's not over yet. I can only imagine where this adventure will take me with the next year to come. Who knows where I will be come another 525 600 minutes. 8760 hours. 365 days. 52 weeks. 12 months. One year.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...