header-photo

Bring on the Non-Training

And so it begins. I knew the time was upon me and now that it is here it is hard to know if I can follow through. As August is my last month here in Broome, I have decided to make it my month dedicated towards getting myself as in shape as possible.... getting ready for the lengthy trek a couple of months from now. I don't really see it as "training," per say - how does one particularly "train" to walk across an entire country? In my mind, you just kind of do it.

And so August has become my month of non-training. Though I do not see the sense in formally training for this trek Alex and I will do - I do see the sense in being as physically fit as possible beforehand. With that in mind, it all began on Monday (August 2) of which I walked all the way to B.R.A.C. (Broome's Recreation and Aquatic Centre) to meet up with Siobhan (pronounced: Shiv-awn) to do a Zumba class. I guess if you picture a latin-flavoured dance aerobic class and that would be pretty much what we were doing. Considering Siobhan forgot her contacts, we were first timers at the back of the class, we didn't have any mirror to check and see if we were doing the right move and the instructor didn't have a microphone to project her voice to the back of the room.... well - we did pretty good. I figured the sweating was what counted. That and we must burnt a few hundred calories just in laughing at how ridiculous it was to try and keep up to the instructor.

Then today came yoga. Kirsten and I got up bright and early to meet at the Buddha Sanctuary down the road for some good ol' relaxing yoga. Only it wasn't as much relaxing as trying to twist my body in unnatural positions and then force it to stay there while I attempted to concentrate on breathing. By the time our hour was over I felt as though my limbs were made of spaghetti and that I had stretched every possible muscle in my body. It felt awesome.

Tomorrow will be running. Or so I plan. The tough part is though I have plans to end my housekeeping job here soon, I am still working two jobs. And I am still using my time outside of shifts to work on organizing things for New Zealand. And I am still super tired. All I can do is cross my fingers and hope that the fitness endorphins kick in big time for me and put me into high gear. After all, it's not as though I am officially training right?

Outside of all this excersize gibberish, all is going relatively normal. More new people have arrived at the caravan park. Work is still the same. Same story, different day. And all I can think about is beautiful New Zealand and the months that will come as Alex and I get the opportunity to cross such a amazing country on foot. If only it could be tomorrow.

3 comments:

Paul Gee said...

You're getting me excited for you both, and for myself. Grr. If only time would go more quickly.

Tip: Do as much prep with a heavy rucksack as you can. Makes a world of difference. I was walking with a 20kg pack at least 3 times a week (10km each) in prep for 5 weeks in NZ last year.

I intend to walk 5 days a week with a 20kg pack over the next 8 weeks (4.5km per day) in prep for Te Araroa. Short days, I know, but that's how far I walk to and from work each day so it's worth harnessing that time.

Unknown said...

Yeah - Alex and I will probably get more into that once we arrive in Auckland as there is about a month from when we arrive to when we intend to set off on our journey. In the meantime the "non-training" will have to do. Haha. Man, I really do wish we were going tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

yeeeeahhhhh zumba!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...